It has always been said that bread is not thrown away. Traditionally, bread that has become hard has been used in soup, for example. It was seasoned with whatever was available in the pantry – in France onions and cheese, among other things. The result is this spicy onion soup with golden-brown cheese toast from the oven.
- 800 g onions
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 cl Pernod
- 1,2 l meat or vegetable broth
- 8 white bread slices (maybe older)
- 80 g grated Gruyère or Raclette cheese
- optional: a shot of champagne, other sparkling wine or white wine